Friends Pay Tribute to the Late Sal Serio by Continuing His Genealogy Classes at the Jefferson Parish Library | Entertainment/Life
Friends are stepping up to pay tribute to the late Sal Serio, longtime curator of the Italian-American Research Center at the West Bank Regional Library, by continuing his summer genealogy series after his death on May 23.
Serio ran a popular series of genealogy classes for years and was considered one of the area’s leading genealogy experts. Friends will continue as guest speakers, but in an abbreviated fashion.
This is the updated list of topics and speakers. All sessions will be held at 1 p.m. in the East Bank Regional Library’s Jefferson Room, 4747 W. Napoleon Ave.
- June 15: Bring your ancestors to life with Rhonda Roederer.
- June 22: Obstacle or Opportunity: Pathway to Genealogy Gems with Rhonda Roederer.
- June 29: Orleans Archdiocese Records with Jack Belsom.
- July 6: Census Records with Rhonda Roederer.
- July 13: Become a Tombstone Tourist with Rhonda Roederer.
- July 20: DNA research with Phyllis Cosentino.
- July 27: Family secrets discovered with Rhonda Roederer.
- August 3: Southern Louisiana Family Archives Repository with Marguerite Scully.
- August 10: African-American History with Gaynell Brady
- August 17: to be determined
EMPLOYEE OF THE YEAR: Chad Willingham, a library associate who has worked for the parish for two years, is the Library Worker of the Year for 2021.
After Hurricane Ida, senior staff at the Grand Isle Library resigned. Willingham opened the library several times for adjusters, FEMA representatives, vendor assessments, and other post-cleanup and construction items that needed attention. He played a vital role in the establishment and operation of library services at the Grand Isle Multiplex during the repair of the library building.
Willingham worked with the library’s IT department to install computers for staff and patrons. He worked with Guest Services to get shipments to the island for guest access. He worked with the Technical Services Department to assess books and other materials that needed to be discarded and reorganized, as well as compiling lists for insurance reimbursement of damaged items.
“Even when Chad was unsure of his position in the aftermath of the storm – in addition to sustaining damage to his own home on the island – he was always there and ready to go on long trips and work in harsh conditions. extremely unpleasant,” Selena Muhoberac said. , associate director of the Jefferson Parish Library system. “He did all of this under the shadow of COVID.”
SUMMER READING EVENTS: These performances and special activities are part of the library’s summer reading program.
- Porta-Puppet Players: Ariel’s Treasure Chest – 11 a.m. to noon, June 15, Harahan Library, 219 Soniat Ave., Harahan.
- Giant Bubble Play Area – 2-3 p.m., June 22, Live Oak Library, 125 Acadia Drive, Waggaman.
- Frank and Tammy Magic and Puppet Show – 11 a.m. to noon, June 20, Old Metairie Library, 2350 Metairie Road.
- Everyone Hooping — 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., June 16, River Ridge Library, 8825 Jefferson Highway, River Ridge.
- Frank and Tammy Magic and Puppet Show — 2:30-3:30 p.m., June 21, Rosedale Library, 4036 Jefferson Highway, Rosedale.
- Make Your Own Bubble Wand – 2-3 p.m., June 15, East Shore Regional Library.
- Kitten Yoga – 10 a.m. to 11 a.m., June 20, East Shore Regional Library.
- Frank and Tammy Magic and Puppet Show — 2:30 to 3:30 p.m., June 20, East Shore Regional Library.
MORE GENEALOGY: Gwen Kelley, a librarian specializing in genealogy and local history, will host a seminar on “FamilySearch.org” at 2 p.m. on June 20, via streaming via the library’s website. Customers should visit the home page of the library website and click on the link to join the meeting.
For those without a computer, sessions will be streamed at River Ridge and North Kenner Libraries on the East Shore, and at Terrytown (680 Heritage Ave.) and Belle Terre (5550 Belle Terre Road, Marrero) Libraries. on the east shore. western bank. These sessions will be recorded and archived on the library’s website.
COMPUTER LESSONS : Receive free computer training at the West Bank Regional Library and the West Bank Regional Library.
Places are limited and online registration is mandatory. Visit the Computer Classes page at jplibrary.net/training and click on East Bank Regional Schedule or West Bank Regional Schedule.
Farming courses include:
- Microsoft Word I: 10 a.m. to noon, June 15.
- Microsoft Word II: 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., June 15.
- Microsoft Excel 2: 10 a.m. to noon, June 20.
- Computer basics: 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., June 20.
- JPL Digital Content: 10 a.m. to noon, June 21.
- One-to-one lessons in basic computer skills: 10 a.m. to noon, June 22.
- Microsoft Word 2: 10 a.m. to noon, June 22.
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2: 2-4 p.m., June 24.
Harvey courses include:
- JPL digital content: 10 a.m. to noon, June 16.
- Microsoft PowerPoint I: 2 to 4 p.m., June 16.
- Computer basics: 10 a.m. to noon, June 24
- Microsoft Excel I: 10 a.m. to noon, June 30.
- Microsoft PowerPoint I: 2 to 4 p.m., June 30.
Chris Smith is head of adult programming at the Jefferson Parish Public Library.