News Archive | Leesburg, Virginia
Named after Leesburg native Thomas Balch, a prominent mid-19th century Philadelphia lawyer, the library building was dedicated in May 1922. In 1960, it became a free, albeit separate, public library and in 1965, after desegregation, its services became accessible to all people.
In 1974, it joined as a branch of the newly created Loudoun County Public Library System, serving the community as a full-service public library. When the county’s new Rust Library opened in 1992, the city acquired the Thomas Balch Library building, taking over its operation and renaming it the Thomas Balch Library of Local History and Genealogy.
A special exhibition will be on view in the Margaret Mercer Room and at the Digital Kiosk in the Divine Room of the Thomas Balch Library throughout May. Artifacts, photographs and documents from the library’s history will be featured along with an interactive timeline. Of note are the items donated by the Balch family, the original minutes and records of the Leesburg Library Society, and memorabilia from the library’s first 100 years.
Additional celebratory events will take place through May 2023. For more information, call 703-737-7195 or visit www.leesburgva.gov/departments/thomas-balch-library.
Deputy Public Information Officer